Connect to Project News!
Subscribe to E-news
Read the Blog
Sign up for traffic advisories
Phone: 541-682-6100 | 7-1-1 (TTY)
Español? Si desea información en español, por favor llame a LTD al 541-682-6100.
EmX Steering Committee
The meeting scheduled for Tuesday, September 2, has been cancelled. LTD will hold an EmX Steering Committee meeting in October, which the date is yet to be determined.
Meetings are held from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. at LTD, located at 3500 East 17th Avenue (off Glenwood Boulevard).
Click here for the agendas and minutes from previous meetings.
Click for more information
The West Eugene EmX project is designed to maintain current traffic capacity over the long term while also adding EmX transit service along the corridor. A visual simulation has been created based on actual traffic and pedestrian counts measured during afternoon peak flow, and uses state-of-the-art modeling to demonstrate how traffic and EmX will flow along the route after the project is completed. Read more...
Pre-Construction Work In Progress
Beginning in May 2014, general contractor Wildish Building Company will excavate and fill small exploratory holes in the pavement along the planned EmX route to determine the location of underground utilities. The work will begin on West 11th Avenue and then shift to West 7th and 6th Avenues between Garfield and Charnelton Streets. Crews will work during nighttime hours to minimize impacts on businesses and traffic. Limited portions of one travel lane at a time will be restricted as the work continues for a few weeks.
Also in May, EWEB will begin work along West 7th and 6th Avenues between Garfield and Charnelton Streets to relocate water services outside the EmX project footprint. The majority of this work will be conducted during nighttime hours and is expected to temporarily restrict one traffic lane at the relocation sites. Relocation of electric utilities along West 7th and 6th Avenues is slated to follow the water service relocation, expected to begin in late summer. EWEB customers will be notified in advance if their services are expected to be interrupted for longer than one hour. The West Eugene EmX project will reimburse EWEB for utility relocation work.
Also in May, surveyors will begin marking project lines where road widening or EmX station placement will require the acquisition of narrow strips of private property. This work is not expected to affect traffic lanes.
Construction Phase Expected to Begin September 2014
LTD expects that road and sidewalk construction work may begin on West 7th Avenue between Garfield Street and Chambers Street in September 2014. This schedule is subject to change and LTD will update this information with as much notice as possible.
Engineering Phase Continues
The West Eugene EmX team is preparing the detailed project design based on refinements identified in the environmental review documents and additional refinements developed to address property and business interests. Read more ...
The West Eugene EmX project team developed design refinements to address property and business interests and reduce impacts where possible. Read more ...
With business input, LTD is developing a plan to promote and support businesses along the West Eugene route. We encourage you to consider shopping at the great businesses along the route. You’ll find nearly 600 merchants ready to serve you.
Savor a tasty meal
Treat yourself to a new ‘do
Stock up on household supplies
Get your car in tip-top shape
Join a gym or get a massage for a healthy new you
Find a new apartment
Protect yourself with insurance and financial advice
Spruce up your home with new furnishings
Lodge your guests at one of many motels
Explore the many specialty shops…from antiques to art, cutlery to collectibles, and more!
· Add 8.8 new round-trip miles of EmX service serving 25 stations along West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues.
· Result in a total of 24 round-trip miles of EmX service, representing 25% of the planned EmX network.
· Serve stations every 10 minutes on weekdays, and every 15-30 minutes during evenings and weekends.
· Provide fast, frequent, and easy transit service with convenient one-seat rides, level boarding, multiple doors on both sides, bikes on board, covered shelters, real-time passenger information, and fare vending machines.
· Improve transit travel time and reduces operating costs for the future.
· Improve traffic flow by adding capacity to eight intersections on West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues.
· Link an estimated 52,000 residents with 81,500 jobs along the route.
· Provide short-term economic benefits including 1,235 direct and indirect jobs during construction.
· Install 5.9 miles of new street pavement and 4.7 miles of new sidewalks.
· Install 2 new bike/pedestrian bridges over Amazon Creek (at Buck and Wallis Streets) with connections to West 11th Avenue; adds a bike lane on Charnelton Street.
· Move utility poles from the middle to the outside of sidewalks to improve pedestrian safety.
Improving Traffic Flow on West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues
The West Eugene EmX project will maintain or improve regular traffic flow on West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues while also providing for EmX travel.
Comments about EmX from Community Members
Read what some key community members have to say about EmX. Click here.