The West Eugene EmX team is preparing the detailed project design based on refinements identified in the environmental review documents. Additional refinements will be developed to meet the interests of property owners, businesses, residents, and the project. The engineering phase is expected to continue through Winter 2014.
During the first few months of the engineering phase, the public may see surveying and other technical crews gathering engineering information along the route. Project staff will be visiting door-to-door with businesses, property owners, and residents directly on the route to answer questions and help people connect to project updates. LTD will work one-on-one with businesses and property owners to minimize changes and effects, and gather business input to develop strategies that will promote and support businesses. Project information is available to businesses, property owners, residents, and the public through direct mail, web, social media, and other sources. View the Public Outreach Plan.
Construction will follow the engineering phase. LTD expects that construction will begin no later than 2015.
Connect to Project News!
Blog Click here to see the project blog, with new postings every two weeks.
E-news Sign up using the “Join our Mailing List” box above.
Phone 541-682-6100 (7-1-1 TTY)
Español? Si desea información en español, por favor llame a LTD al 541-682-6100 ó visite nuestra
pagina web: weemx.ltd.org.
With business input, LTD is developing a plan to promote and support businesses along the West Eugene route. We encourage you to consider shopping at the great businesses along the route. You’ll find nearly 600 merchants ready to serve you.
Savor a tasty meal
Treat yourself to a new ‘do
Stock up on household supplies
Get your car in tip-top shape
Join a gym or get a massage for a healthy new you
Find a new apartment
Protect yourself with insurance and financial advice
Spruce up your home with new furnishings
Lodge your guests at one of many motels
Explore the many specialty shops…from antiques to art, cutlery to collectibles, and more!
· Add 8.8 new round-trip miles of EmX service serving 25 stations along West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues.
· Result in a total of 24 round-trip miles of EmX service, representing 25% of the planned EmX network.
· Serve stations every 10 minutes on weekdays, and every 15-30 minutes during evenings and weekends.
· Provide fast, frequent, and easy transit service with convenient one-seat rides, level boarding, multiple doors on both sides, bikes on board, covered shelters, real-time passenger information, and fare vending machines.
· Improve transit travel time and reduces operating costs for the future.
· Improve traffic flow by adding capacity to eight intersections on West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues.
· Link an estimated 52,000 residents with 81,500 jobs along the route.
· Provide short-term economic benefits including 1,235 direct and indirect jobs during construction.
· Install 5.9 miles of new street pavement and 4.7 miles of new sidewalks.
· Install 2 new bike/pedestrian bridges over Amazon Creek (at Buck and Wallis Streets) with connections to West 11th Avenue; adds a bike lane on Charnelton Street.
· Move utility poles from the middle to the outside of sidewalks to improve pedestrian safety.
Improving Traffic Flow on West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues
The West Eugene EmX project will maintain or improve regular traffic flow on West 6th, 7th, and 11th Avenues while also providing for EmX travel.
How? The project will widen the roadway at eight major intersections, including at West 6th Avenue and Chambers Street, allowing more traffic to move through these intersections during each signal cycle. This will prevent congestion from increasing along the route even at peak travel times.
One lane along the EmX route will be designated as a Business Access and Transit (BAT) lane for EmX through-travel. The BAT lane will be shared with regular traffic for turning at intersections and business driveways. The BAT lane also will allow the other travel lanes to operate more efficiently as regular motorists pass by the turning traffic.
As designed, West Eugene EmX will preserve or improve flow for all traffic along the corridor during the next 20 years.
West Eugene EmX Extension Maps
Locally Preferred Alternative Concept Plans
July 22, 2011 (pdf)
West Eugene EmX Extension: East Segment (5 MB pdf)
West Eugene EmX Extension: West Segment (5 MB pdf)
EmX System Map (pdf)
Comments about EmX from Community Members
Read what some key community members have to say about EmX. Click here.