Finalists Announced for Local Transportation Excellence Awards
May 7, 2019
Contact: Rob Zako, Executive Director
Community members submitted over 50 nominations for awards in three categories.
Founded in 2012, the local nonprofit brings people together to promote transportation options, safe streets, and walkable neighborhoods.
Better Eugene-Springfield Transportation announced finalists for the BEST Awards recognizing excellence in improving the quality of transportation in our area.
BEST selected five finalists for the Transportation Options Award, recognizing achievement adding new or improving the availability, practicality or affordability of existing transportation options:
- EmX West — bus rapid transit segment in Eugene
- Free Bikes 4 Kidz Eugene-Springfield — helping all kids ride into a happier, healthier childhood by providing bikes to those most in need
- New Franklin Boulevard Phase 1 — multi-way boulevard in Glenwood
- PeaceHealth Rides — bike share service
- #YesRideChoice / Lyft / Uber — ride-hailing services
BEST selected five finalists for the Safe Streets Award, recognizing achievement protecting lives:
- Active Amazon Transportation Corridor Project — “Ridgeline to River” link in southeast Eugene
- Mill Race Path — recreational bicycle path from downtown Springfield to the Middle Fork Willamette
- Sun Automotive — for airing safe driving radio ads
- Transportation Safety Action Plan / Fatal Crash Investigation Team — for taking steps to implement Lane County’s safety plan
- Vision Zero Action Plan — Eugene’s safety plan
BEST selected four finalists for the Walkable Neighborhoods Award, recognizing achievement designing or building complete neighborhoods where many basic services are within walking distance:
- Amazon Corner — mixed-use mid-rise rentals on Hilyard Street in Eugene
- Blossom Cottages — cottage cluster on River Road in Eugene
- Lucia / Acadia — townhouses on Friendly Street in Eugene
- The Oaks on 14th — affordable housing on Oak Patch in Eugene
BEST will present an award in each category at a dinner ceremony on Tuesday, May 21st, at 5:30 pm.
The public is invited to join in honoring all the finalists. To learn more and to reserve a space, visit best-oregon.org/register. Reservations close on Tuesday, May 14th.
This is the first year BEST will present “BEST-ie” awards, which are inspired by Hollywood’s Oscars.