New Federal Mask Requirements Announced
Lane Transit District (LTD) is implementing procedures to comply with a newly issued Federal Order to the current facemask requirements LTD passengers and employees have been observing to limit exposure to COVID-19. The new federal guidelines are in effect, immediately.
The Federal Order requires facemasks to be worn by all individuals who are riding buses or are on transit district property. There are exceptions to the new federal guidelines: children under the age of two and people with disabilities who cannot wear a mask, or cannot safely wear a mask. Customers with disabilities that cannot safely wear a mask should review requirements listed on the LTD website, or contact LTD to make a reasonable modification request. Passengers in this category will continue to be required to wear a face shield while their request is evaluated.
The new Federal Order further defines what is considered a mask as material covering the nose and mouth of the wearer and excludes face shields. A mask should be secured to the head with ties or ear loops. A mask needs to fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face and should not hang loosely due to being secured by a single strap. The following do not fulfill the requirements of the Order: scarves, ski masks, balaclavas, gaiters, or bandannas.
Under the Order, LTD will use its best efforts to ensure all persons wear a mask. Best efforts are described in the Federal Order as:
(1) Boarding only those persons who wear masks;
(2) Instructing persons that Federal law requires wearing a mask on the transit system and transit property and failure to comply constitutes a violation of Federal law;
(3) Monitoring persons onboard the transit system or on the transit property for anyone who is not wearing a mask and seek compliance from such persons;
(4) At the earliest opportunity, remove any person who refuses to comply; and
(5) Providing persons with prominent and adequate notice to facilitate awareness and compliance with the requirements of the Federal Order concerning mask wearing.
“The new federal mask requirements are not much different than what we have all been observing for months, but they do offer important additional guidance that will keep us healthy and safe,” said Aurora (AJ) Jackson, LTD’s General Manager. “We appreciate LTD passengers complying with the face mask requirements to date as we continue our Health-First approach to help limit the spread of COVID-19.”
The Federal Order signed into law by President Joseph Biden in January applies to all forms of public transportation, including airports, commercial aircraft, trains, public maritime vessels, including ferries, and intercity bus service.
The Federal Order can be found here.
For information about LTD’s COVID-19 initiatives click here.LTD Customer Service Representatives are available to answer questions by phone at 541-687-5555 or 800-248-3861 (7-1-1 TTY), Mon – Fri, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., except for holidays.