How to Load Your Bike on EmX
Follow these three easy steps:
- Check to see if there is room - As the EmX vehicle approaches, scan the bus to see if there is room on board. Up to three bikes are permitted on the vehicle. If it is too crowded to board safely, you will need to wait for the next bus.
- Let other riders board first - Wait for other riders to exit and enter the bus before you board.
- Board through the door with the bike symbol - Designated bike spaces are located inside the left rear door of each EmX bus. Only board EmX through doors displayed below:
Getting on an EmX Bus with Your Bike
- As the bus approaches, look through the windows to see if there is room for your bike. EmX buses allow three bikes on the bus at a time. If it is too crowded to board safely, you will need to wait for the next bus.
- Please wait for other riders to exit and enter the bus before you board with your bike.
- Look for the bike symbol on the exterior of the bus and platform to know which doors to use.
- EmX buses have level boarding, so you can roll your bike right onto the bus through the rear doors.
- There are two kinds of bike racks on EmX buses: one uses a tire securement system and the other uses a securement strap system.
- Tire Securement System: To use the “V-shaped” tire securement system, first, locate an empty rack. Lift up the front tire and slide it into the bottom part of the “V”. Keep pushing your bike in until the black stopper rolls up the front tire and secures your bike.
- Securement Strap System: To use the securement strap system, find an empty slot on the bike rack inside the bus and slide in your bike. Locate the appropriate length securement strap and click the strap into place around the frame of your bike. Pay attention as other riders board with bikes, because you may need to ask them to move their bike to get to yours.
Getting Off the Bus
- As you approach your destination, notify the bus operator that you’d like to stop. If available, push the bike request button near the bike securement area. You may need to ask other riders to move their bikes to access yours.
- When using the tire securement system, hold your bike by the handlebars and push the securement bar off of your front bike tire.
- When using the securement strap system, remove the securement strap from the frame of your bike.
- Roll your bike out of the rack and onto the platform.
- Remember to walk your wheels on platforms.
- Be aware of your surroundings and oncoming traffic. Look both ways and walk your bike to the curbside of the street. Never cross the street in front of the bus.
- If other riders are occupying the area displaying the bike symbol, you may politely request that they move from the area so that you can store your bike.
- Bikes are allowed on EmX only if there is room, so if all bike spaces are full or if the vehicle is too crowded to board safely, you must wait for the next EmX vehicle. Consider taking your trip before or after rush hour, parking your bike at the station, or using a compact folding bike instead.
- Always yield priority seating areas to seniors and people with disabilities.
- Bicycles and similar devices may not block aisles or paths of travel.
- Maintain control of your bike and take care not to brush it against others. Do not use a kickstand.
- If you have a collapsed folding bike, you may store it under your seat. Don't block the aisles with your collapsed bike.
- Children under the age of 12 bringing bikes on EmX must be accompanied by an adult.
- Always walk your bike in station areas, transit centers, and pedestrian corridors.
- Bicycles and similar devices powered by fuel other than a battery are not permitted. Battery compartments must be sealed. Devices must weigh under 55 pounds.